Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

MY THOUGHTS ON THIS 911 WEEKEND




Here we are , 10 years latter . A decade since the awful tragedy in our country. Where are we now? How are we as a country now? How are we as individuals now? So many everyday folks, just going to work to earn money for their families. Just working for their rent , bills , food ,and maybe even a fun time out on the town with their families, or a secret plan to surprise their significant others with a dinner and a play . I think about how the morning must have went , have some breakfast , the usual eggs and bacon and some wheat toast with jam, checking out the sports page or ads in newspaper, then climb into car , or get to subway and head off to work, knowing they have a busy week ahead with deadlines or projects to start. Then , all of a sudden their lives changed forever- some for years on some for only a few more hours. I remember that morning like it was 10 days ago- not 10 years ago. I know it changed me and I did NOT know anyone in the tragedy ,at least that I am aware of. I know today I am more aware of people , more aware of how people treat others, and that even the smallest thing, can mean the world to someone , to me. I don’t always act like it or the way I should, but I am aware more then ever how it can effect me, others and my family. To this day , I get teary eyed thinking of it at times. I know why more on a personal note, why I enjoy things I do , or how my enjoyment changed. Why the hell do I love my Colts football so much? Why the hell do I enjoy my horror movies and my music so damn much? These things take me away from the doldrums of life and give me a breathe of fresh air, a breather from the harshness (to whatever extent that may be)- of life. To watch my team come together as a TEAM to set on a common goal and to achieve that goal together, UNITED as one driving force. To watch a person fight and fight to survive against all odds when faced with that masked killer, or at least go down kicking and screaming putting up a fight. The music, it takes me to younger days when life was not as serious , where it can take me to a world of my own, and bring back memories of a time gone by. Yes- I am so stuck in my 80s, but I have such good memories of that time, and it is all cherished. My family- it brought my family closer. To hear my parents tell me they respect me , to close the distance with my brother and his family , to be in touch more then ever with my very much loved niece and my nephews! To see them grow up and get married and start their own families. My wife and kids- what would I ever do with out them- I do not know- life would take a huge step back if I didn’t have them- they mean the world to me! So now- a decade latter- a time where our world has changed , our country has changed. The sadness of that dreadful day still remains- but I know- that all the folks lost on that day , all the firemen who were lost , police officers lost -their sacrifices are not unnoticed nor unappreciated . The lessons learned for me taught me to not know- but to UNDERSTAND how great life is and can be, how amazing people are and can be, and how UNITED we can accomplish so much together as a country ,as a family. The trivial things in life are just that- but they to mean something- our little quirks are the little special things that make life zesty. So bring on the football , movies , music , FAMILY ,friends , these are things that make my life more fun and exciting-and this at this time the anniversary of our 9/11 tragedy , it makes me be grateful for these things all the more . In midst of teary eyes of sadness , there is some joy that reminds me of why we are here, among all the sadness and sorrow for the families who lost loved ones 10 years ago- lets live life as great as possible , as amazing as possible , LIVE life in tribute to so many who lost theirs, and cherish those who come into our lives everyday- for they just want their eggs , bacon, maybe a bagel , a cup of coffee , and to go to work and make money for their families also. Thank you all for being my friends, my family, my extended family- it means a lot to me to know I have you all in my life !

No comments:

Post a Comment