Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH SHEILA ANN JORDAN AND MYSELF

WELL FOLKS - A FIRST HERE FOR ME AND MY BLOG! I NEW INTERVIEW- WITH AN ADDED HONOR - I INTERVIEWED THE WONDERFUL SHEILA ANN JORDAN AND IN TURN, SHE REQUESTED TO INTERVIEW ME. THIS FORMAT IS NEW FOR ME AND ITS HER FIRST TIME INTERVIEWING! WE BOTH HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS AND HOPEFULLY GET TO KNOW A LITTLE MORE ABOUT HER AND MYSELF! I WILL START OFF WITH MY INTERVIEW WITH SHEILA- SHE IS ONE ROCKING CHICK! :-)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Belas/117338473389
https://www.facebook.com/GRV.WV



JG- SO MY FRIEND- HOW DID YOU START BELA’S ???? WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO DO THE COLLECTIBLES AND FILMS???

SAJ - In 2009 I had been waiting tables and bar-tending for almost 15 years and was becoming tired. Reagan, my youngest, had just turned two and it seemed like I was just working to pay for gas and daycare. So, I decided to quit and stay at home. My husband and I had been collecting VHS, DVDs and film collectibles for years and were beginning to have duplicates. Not a bad problem to have, but with two children and living in an apartment at the time, we needed room. We were also thinking of moving back to my hometown around this time, so we started to sort through everything and WOW!! We ended up with a closet full of DVDs, magazines,books and figures that we didn't need. Since I had the time now, I opened an EBay and Half.Com account and began listing items. People started buying and I found myself buying and looking for items to sell. My plan for Bela's was once we moved to begin moving toward the goal of a physical location verses online. In March of this year, a friend of mine was opening an antique/second hand shop and had spaces for rent. The price was right and the space was perfect, so I shut down the online sales and moved all of my inventory into Fortunate Finds. This has been perfect for me to learn the ups and downs of the retail business. I would still love to have my very own shop and will. It's definitely a work in progress.

JG- WHAT IS YOUR FAV HORROR MOVIE AND WHY?

SAJ - Motel Hell hands down! I know it's more of a horror-comedy and it may not have the best directing or acting, but what a fun film! Growing up, we would stay at motels similar to Motel Hell(o) and stop a local and road side stores. Jerky has always been a staple road trip snack in my family. Needless to say, after I saw watched Motel Hell for the first time at the age of 8 or 9, I started to question my parents choices of accommodations on trips....AND the jerky! Plus- Rory Calhoun, Wolfman Jack and John Ratzenberger (Cliff from Cheers), how could you go wrong? (LOL- Don't answer that!)

JG - WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE AS A REMAKE , AS LONG AS IT IS RESPECTFUL TO THE ORIGINAL??

SAJ- John Carpenter's The Thing is a prime example of a wonderful remake. I just wish, as you put it, the industry would be more respectful to the originals when "re-envisioning" and re-making. Martin (1976) would be an amazing remake, if done right. I love the original and think that it would update well and, as with all remakes, it would draw attention to this sometimes forgotten Romero classic.





JG- DO YOU EVER GET OUT TO CONVENTIONS WITH YOUR GOODIES??

SAJ -Maybe someday we will, but I really enjoy going to conventions and not working a booth or table. Although I do buy for Bela's at conventions.

JG -IF YOU WERE NOT DOING THIS- BELA’S - WHAT WOULD BE YOUR DREAM JOB??

SAJ -I would love to buy and renovate and old theater. Imagine the possibilities!

JG - WHAT ARE YOU PRIDE AND JOYS AS FAR AS YOUR MEMORABILIA IS CONCERNED?? YOUR PRIZED GOODS??

SAJ -That's a tough one! As far as horror goes, I have the original Nightmare on Elm Street 2 -Freddy stand up, an original 1976 King Kong poster, a Dracula A.D. 1972 poster signed by Caroline Munro and given to me by her for my 35th birthday and a trowel necklace made by Kyra Schon (Karen Cooper in 1968's Night of the Living Dead), to name a few. Now, my Rocky Horror Show/The Rocky Horror Picture Show collection is my baby. I have been collecting anything and everything Rocky since the late 80's. I own posters, albums, tickets, scripts, etc., from all across the world. I also have a Meat Loaf album signed by the late Chris Farley, "From Meat Loaf.....sort of!" (remember his stint as Meat Loaf on SNL?)


JG -SO I DO SEE , THAT IT APPEARS THAT YOUR HUBBY IS QUITE THE HORROR FIEND ALSO ? AM I CORRECT IN THAT ASSUMPTION?? WHATS YOUR FAVORITE “DATE NIGHT” HORROR FILM?? IS THERE A “ITS OUR MOVIE” FILM , WHAT ABOUT SONG?? I KNOW YOU LIKE ALICE COOPER - IS THERE AN AC SONG THAT IS “YOUR SONG” ?? CHEESY- I KNOW- LOL !

SAJ -First, thank you for asking about my hubby. And yes he is a horror fiend as well. He is a chef by day and a horror writer by night. Bruce has been writing for Classic-Horror.Com for almost two years now. I enjoy watching him tick when it comes to the genre. He is always reading, watching and researching. I learn from him every day. He also supports me and my crazy ideas and helps me execute them. I couldn't ask for a better husband, father or friend.
Our favorite date night film and "our film", is The Fog (1980).

We really don't have a "song", but we both are huge Alice fans!! One of the first presents Bruce ever bought me was an Alice Cooper doll. We are, however, divided on Alice. Bruce really only likes his older stuff, but I love it all! It's ALICE!

JG -NOW - KIDS?? DO YOU HAVE ANY?? IF SO- ARE THEY HORROR BUFFS ALSO- OR IS THAT JUST THE “WEIRD STUFF MY FOLKS ARE INTO “ THING??

SAJ -Bruce and I have two daughters. Anna is 12 and Reagan is 4. They love horror! Especially the Universal monsters. Anna's favorite is the Creature and Reagan loves the Wolfman. And they both are huge fans of the original Night of the Living Dead. We recently took them to their first convention, Monster Bash, and they are addicted. Anna is already saving up money for the next one in June. We have made Monster Bash our family vacation and my parents, brother in-law and nephew even go with us. It's pretty cool to have three generations of horror fans in the family. It still blows my mind when I am watching an old film with my dad and he remembers seeing it as a kid in the theater.

JG -THIS IS A PLACE FOR YOU TO PLUG BELAS AND YOUR PROJECTS WHAT EVER THEY MAY BE ! IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT YOU WANNA SHARE OR TELL THAT I HAVE FORGOT TO ASK !

SAJ -2012 is going to be a busy one...In February, I will be hosting a Women In Horror Month event (details to be announced soon). I am also working on a zombie walk and having a few classic horror film screenings. In October, I host the Rocky Horror Picture Show for Carnegie Hall, Lewisburg, WV and we will be having our 2nd Annual Zombie Prom on Halloween Night at the Irish Pub.
And I just joined our local roller derby team, the Greenbrier Roller Vixens, so I am concentrating on passing my skills tests so I can skate in a bout. Stay tuned for that one! LOL

A big thank you for this interview, John! It has been a pleasure. :)






AND NOW- HERE YOU- SHEILAS WONDERFUL QUESTIONS FOR ME-

SAJ -John Ginder is a husband, father, freelance writer and horror enthusiast. In August of 2011, he unleashed his blog, Lost in the 80's, and it has been full speed ahead since for him. Lost in the 80's is filled with unique interviews, reviews of conventions, films, music....you name it, and it's in there.

In the fall of this year, John approached me about doing an interview and while bouncing around ideas, I thought- "I should interview John!" So without further ado, here is the man behind Lost in the 80's-John Grinder! I hope you enjoy!

SAJ -We will start off with an easy one, when were you bitten by the horror bug?

JG -When I was a little boy- I loved old monster movies. The ones that stick out are War of The Gargantuas, some Godzilla, loved Wolfman and then I saw Hammer horror stuff- which lead me to watch even more and two of most favorites after I was sucked in was Lemora the Lady Dracula and Vampire Circus. It solidified when I was in high school , after years of watching horror and scifi - I got hooked with Slasher films and loved and still do Return of the Living Dead ( to which has an AWESOME soundtrack that I listen to a lot even now!!)


SAJ -In an early blog post of yours, you talk about leaving the safety of "non writing John".
Describe "non writing John".

JG- Well , I have always been the “behind the scenes dude, or the listener ‘ watcher. I have always felt , and still do- that if you’re a musician , why write music for the world to hear if no one listens and appreciates it. One cant entertain if no one is meant to be entertained by it. So- I love listening to music, all kinds, and I love to watch my movies , which is also very eclectic, but I do have my favorites! So- the whole “non writing John: thing is this- I always sat back and listened, watched, and read- and I knew I had knowledge and something to offer- so I went out of my comfort zone to start my rambling in writing about my loves in music and movies. I love listening to great music- creative music , not this prefab studio driven crap out there today- but music where the folks actually play the instruments (live and in studio , electronic or non electronic). I was always the “appreciator” and not the “spread the word and tell about “ guy!

And what about "writing John"? And how did the Soska sisters encourage your writing?

JG-writing John , hmmm. I love writing about the films, I don’t not claim to be good at it, not major mag material, but I am passionate about it and I can always guarantee I speak from my heart . I have always tended to be very positive- and try to see benefit (even if I have to dig deep to find it) in all film I write about or music I listen to. Yes, tough with stuff like Hostel or even the band Slayer- but the sheer genius of it is beautiful. So- I do my best- and struggle at times with finding words- to come out of my comfort zone to tell how a film hit me, or to find questions for folks that aren’t being asked- because the folks (actors and musicians are folks just like you and me).

The Soskas- well- I am very grateful for them . I met them on Facebook, had no idea who the hell they were, what they did, just saw them as fan girl horror nerds like me who worked in the films also. As time went- I saw more and more how passionate they were to do what they WANTED to do. The whole follow your dream and do it- and not to let anyone get in your way of achieving your dreams. It really hit me, my knowledge and passion for music and films, why couldn’t I talk about them , write about them. My grammar is wrong at times, I ramble, I don’t get to a point most of time, -that is why I never did. The Soskas, Jen and Sylvia, and I chatted from time to time- and they said a few things about “just do it”- and it finally broke my resistance. I did it- I wrote - and my first review was okay- and my first comment shot it to hell ( said all I did was kiss ass, and that I wrote terrible and that they would never read anything I write again)- a friend stepped in and told me I did great and even told the dude “its his first ever review- back the ‘f’ off, his opinions is just that- and if he didn’t like it then don’t read!”. That was great to hear also- and I sent Jen and Sylvia links to my interviews and reviews as I did ( and still do) them and they always gave me feedback! They really supported me and encouraged me- even when my confidence and desire in the horror community went south (a whole other topic)- and now- I am loving it , at my pace and at my time!


SAJ -Recently you and I had talked about family. What did your family think when you decided to write?

JG- the kids just know its something I do and like, but wifey, My Life, My Belle- she supported me- and said if I am happy doing it- to do it!




SAJ -What inspired the name of your blog, "Lost in the 80's"?

JG- I am the biggest 80s nerd there is- love the 80’s, I get snobby about the 80’s, and I am lost in it- I have taken the stroll down 80s memory lane so much- I think I never came back!

SAJ -Can you tell a little bit about what is in store for "Lost in the 80's" followers in 2012?

JG- more and more interviews and reviews- maybe some “on the street interviews’ ,you know- fanboy and fangirl chats about their thoughts on the scenes and music. Maybe some duo interviews like this and reviews- a Siskel and Ebert on films! Are you interested???

****AND NOW FOR MY VERY RANDOM QUESTIONS****

SAJ -With the holiday's just around the corner, what are your top 3 horror films to watch around this time?

JG- every year its something different- horror wise- fall- I always do a marathon of Friday the 13th films. I also do a lot of TV series marathons- like now- I am doing Eureka. Just did a whole Bones one, now Eureka, but I feel Buffy is coming up soon, and maybe even Tales from the Darkside perhaps!(CANNOT FORGET TWIN PEAKS!!) Seasonal titles- well- Christmas Evil , New Years Evil , the Silent Night Deadly Night series. See- I ramble- and never actually answered your question -lol ! I would say this year my Top 3 favs to watch is this- hmmm- Night Breed , My Bloody Valentine (new or old) , and hmmm , something old like a Vincent Price title!


SAJ -Besides horror and writing, you also have an eclectic taste in music.
What was the first album you ever purchased? What was the most recent?

JG- my first 3 I shall give you- all on cassette - 1.The Cars-Shake It Up . 2. Devo- Freedom of Choice and 3, Adam Ant- Friend or Foe , and okay 4- Kraftwerk - Computer World. Most recent was- the new Human League CD Credo- Love it!! I always buy on the day it comes out anything by Enigma!

SAJ -Last question....I am a huge Alice Cooper fan and this year I was fortunate enough to see him twice!
What's your opinion of his contribution to horror through his music and acting---Specifically The film Monster Dog and the song,
"He's Back! The Man Behind the Mask" done for Friday the 13th?

JG-I love the fact he is himself- in film and music-and that he can boldly quote Scripture and claim his love for God- yet still be AC - ( I have not seen Monster Dog- oh oh- what kind of fan am I ??)- and “Hes Back” - well, the KING of shock rock and Jason- what THE dynamic duo! AWESOME!!!


I want to thank Sheila for doing this interview- and for coming up with this cool idea-I have never been interviewed before and this was fun also- so maybe now- all of you who do read this site, will know a little more about Sheila and about myself! I find some folks think folks who like horror movies are all kinda out there and freaky.I found at cons that they are typically just like everyone else- Sheila is a family gal and I am a family man- I can watch Murder Set Pieces, Hostel and then watch a Disney, John Candy or even , a guilty childhood pleasure- Little House on the Prairie ( its nice to think the world was simple at one time- and that even now, we make it harder then what it really is).

Hope you all enjoyed this- I know I did and I do believe Sheila did also! Check out her shop- who knows- maybe that little something youve been looking for will be there!!!



me and my family !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment