Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

SPECIAL GUEST WRITER- ATHENA PRYCHODKO


FOLKS- A HUGE SURPRISE FOR YOU- MY DEAR FRIEND AND AWESOME DIRECTOR ATHENA PRYCHODKO WROTE AN EXCLUSIVE PIECE FOR THE BLOG- SO- I WONT RAMBLE- I WILL JUST GET ON WITH IT- EVERYONE- ENJOY- SHE AMAZES!!!

 https://www.facebook.com/athenametalgoddess?ref=ts&fref=ts

Quiet on Set


I am not from Hollywood. I am not famous by any means. I am not wealthy due to the films I have worked on. I work a regular day job, making regular pay. I am not a household name. I am not attending the red carpet ceremonies in 2013. I am not many things, but the one thing I am is passionate. Some of you may know who I am,. For those of you who are not familiar with me or my work, let me introduce myself.
My name is not relevant at this juncture.
This will begin with a new perspective. A black and white existence. A silent existence, with music permeating the absence of words. Dark shadows, and silent lips tell intriguing stories from the tombs of movies from many years passed by. With the existence of computers, high faluten cameras, and a lot of dough in the current film industry, it has changed the dynamic of film making forever. Before color came to the screen, variances of black and gray danced across out retinas. Music was the only accompaniment to the images we saw. Although the story line was given to you in the form of “panels”, it was still in your best interest to use your imagination. When the film was over, it would leave you with something to think about. With the current state of film making, very little is left to your own devices. It is usually (not in all cases, of course) laid out for you. I don't know about you, but if I need to ponder the flick I just saw, then it had made for a much more interesting movie going experience.
Of course we all enjoy the quality of film in its present form, it has offered more depth and glamor to what used to be “flat” production. This is good for expansion in many ways, but in my eyes there was something so beautiful about the gritty quality of film, it felt so real. When I think about the horror movie genre in particular, the gritty works as an advantage. It makes you feel dirty, and uneasy... Every bit of what a horror movie should feel like. The pops, cracks, blurred, blacked out edges, “jumping” film, washed out whites, tints of yellowing and aging, with a doomy aura all add an emotion that has been lost upon the new “improved” way of doing things.
It is definitely understandable that we progress, that is what we humans do. We fix, repair, update, download, purge, create, destroy, consume, regurgitate, copy, paste, and you get the idea. It's easy for us to be wrapped up in our happy cocoons, blossoming into something better, something more beautiful than the raw nature of our existence. What is wrong with reveling in our true nature, existing and functioning in our most primitive state ? Who says it's “better” ?
Better is a frame of mind. With that being said I will get back to my original thought. Sometimes we need to get back to basics. I feel this in my soul. And who am I to deny what my soul wants. What does your soul want ? Certainly we all ask ourselves this question, probably on a daily basis, and if not, then SHAME ! After evaluating what I wanted to see on film, and after getting a nudge from a friend, I have decided to bring back the majesty and beauty that was the silent film.
I began my movie career almost 15 years ago, only 3 years ago I started my own production company. Silence In The Dead of Light has brought my vision of a modern day silent film company to life. I currently have two short films on collections that I wrote and directed as silent, black and whites. The reviews have been good, and people have said to me how unique and “original” they are, but to me it's just bringing back some of the amazing moments I have felt over the years as an avid movie enthusiast. If I can make others feel what I feel, and see what I see, then that puts a huge karmic hug on my soul.
I hope after reading this, that you will run out and not only check out my films, but revisit some classics. Turn out all of your lights, light a candle, curl up with some bourbon, and let the magic fill you !!
I guess this is where I finally tell you who I am....
Athena Prychodko.
Director, Actress, Writer, Producer, Artist, Model, SFX Makeup Artist,
Owner Silence In The Dead of Light
Enjoy my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment