Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

TOMI X - THE BIRTH OF A HORROR FANATIC!



FOLKS-- GIVE A HUGE WELCOME TO MY AWESOME FRIEND-ROCKING GAL-AND

ONE OF MY FAVORITE PEOPLE! SHE LOVES ALL THINGS HORROR AND I KNEW I HAD

TO HAVE HER ON HERE! SO- ENJOY THIS PIECE THAT TOMI WROTE- A LITTLE BIT

BIRTH OF A HORROR FAN- ABOUT THE AWESOME TOMI X !!!



From Then to Now As a child growing up in the 80's I was never allowed to watch anything scary by myself. Needless to say, For whatever the reason my parents would take us to the movies every two-three weeks to watch whatever new movies were out. Lets start off in 1986 I was 4 years old and about to watch my first Horror movie ever. My first official scary movie would be Aliens starring Sigourney Weaver ( Ripley ) Carrie Henn (Rebecca 'Newt' Jordan) Michael Biehn (Cpl. Dwayne Hicks) Paul Reiser (Burke) Lance Henriksen (Bishop) Bill Paxton (Pvt. Hudson) just to name a few. My Mother seemed super excited to see this movie, and as she started to explain the synopsis for this movie, my lil 4 year old mind went out of control with Scary thoughts. I crapped myself basically. This movie would open my eyes to a world of new and scarier possibilities. You mean to tell me there Creatures not from this planet, that were HUGE and mostly unfriendly, that wanted to see the Human Race DEAD! You’re kidding me! I cried the whole way to the movie theater, they dragged me kicking and screaming. We all have seen the movie, and I am almost pretty sure I was the only 4 year old in the whole theater. Thats the kind of impact that movie had on me, it brought my fears to the surface, and as much as I didnt want to see that big Scary Alien Creature, I would keep peeking, because I was just that eager to know what was happening next! Brave huh? I feel chills going down my spine just thinking of this! Oh, but it gets better!



Next in my lil person journeys of horror, would be Demons 2, and The Fly, both were more or less back to back, on VHS. Who remembers those huh? lol Demons 2 plot summary A documentary is shown on TV of group of teens who investigate the legendary forbidden zone, in which a Demon infestation once took place (see Demon I). When finding a lifeless corpse of a demon, one of the teens causes the resurrection of it, and the demon makes it's way into the nearby world by TV-broadcast... An unlucky girl, having her birthday-party at that time, gets possessed by the demon while watching the documentary and soon the entire building in which she lives turns into a living nightmare.... Ok? It couldn’t be that scary? Right? Well, this is one of the main reasons I love Dario Argento. Who else but him could bring tears to my eye as I the lil 4 yr old child looked on as The demon started coming through the television set. I couldn’t go near my tv without thinking something was gonna get me and poses me. I literally tried NOT to fall asleep for a few nights in a row. Oh my God and the look and sound of these demons, to me (30 yrs. old) right now, amazing and awesome, then it was like the Exorcist in my face! lol oh the memories this is bringing back! Do you remember The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum as Seth Brundle, Geena Davis, as Veronica Quaife John Getz as Stathis Borans? "Be afraid, be very afraid." Quote from trailer) I think that was an understatement. I really feel this movie changed me as a child. Teleportation of humans, how amazing right? Just make sure there is nothing but you in the pod and you should be fine? But No, that little Fly turned Jeff Goldblum into a ragging jerk and it totally made him not sexy anymore after that. But hey if he was a handsome fly monster, there wouldn’t have been a movie, now would there? Those gross fly hairs growing on his back ACK! Or what about just before he turns into The Fly, he completely dissolves half of John Getz characters (Stathis Borans) arm off! That frightened the holy hell out of me, and brought me to a whole new level of being scared. That was probably the last time I ever seen The Fly, to this day I still wont watch it because of its gross factor. If you haven’t seen it, then what are you waiting for! Go ahead, I dare ya to watch it. lol
So far, so good. I hadn’t been possessed, I didn’t get captured by any Aliens, I didn’t turn into an angry fly monster, I was still alive. I felt something grow inside me that year, no it wasn’t a monster growing in my belly, but rather my love for horror had begun and I was 4 yrs old! My mom pushing me and dragging me to those horror movie, helped me get over my fear of the unknown. With these next movies that follow, I become a blood gushing thirsty lil miss, who only wants to watch scary, and the scariest movies ever! I went from Jason IV to Little Shop of Horror to Psycho III to Night of the Creeps etc. etc. ...because of these movies, it would fuel my passion, for many years to come. I went from a scared lil kid peeking from behind moms back, to being a horror Enthusiast! I love all horror for what it is. I see the Art and beauty in all of it. And anyone who sits there and discriminates it because it didn’t live up to their expectations isn’t really enjoying the movie as a whole. Take a step back, and play that movie again. and again, until you see something, you hadn’t seen before. Then will you know how I feel, and WHY I love horror. (Continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment