Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

ADOLFO DORTA - DAYS OF THE DEAD PROMOTER



https://www.facebook.com/daysofthedead
http://www.fromdusktillcon.com/
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001886445390


A SHOUT OUT TO ADOLFO FOR GETTING ME THIS CHANCE TO THROW AN INTERVIEW HIS WAY! MAJORLY BUSY MAN- GETTING THIS AWESOME EVENT CALLED "DAYS OF THE DEAD" GOING FOR ROUND 2 THIS YEAR- SO- LETS GIVE HIM A HAND- HE HAS DONE AN AWESOME JOB THUS FAR!


JG- What put you in place to do horror conventions?

AD -Originally, DAYS OF THE DEAD was going to be the mid west expansion show for one of the long established horror conventions on the east coast (which I am not at liberty to name) and early on they approached From Dusk Till Con about sponsoring a costume contest or film festival for that show. A few months later, the original promoter who owned the branding for the east coast convention changed his mind and dropped out, though the hotel and location were already secured and contracts were signed. Rick and I were offered the opportunity to take a partnership role and I was asked to become the face of what went on to become DAYS OF THE DEAD. We though about it for a few weeks, but as huge horror fans who go to about 4-7 horror conventions a year, it was an offer we simply couldn’t refuse.

JG -What is your favorite horror movie (old and or new) ?

AD -My two favorite horror movies have always been the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and the original INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS with Kevin McCarthy. Both were so simple, yet effective, in creating tension and suspense in a way that still holds up to this day. I love the feeling of despair in both movies where it's only a matter of time before it's all over, be it by zombies over taking over the house or pod people taking over you in your sleep. Aside from that, I really love JAWS and ALIEN, as well as the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.


JG- If you were asked to be in a remake of a classic horror- one that would be respectful to the original , the type that would make fans happy and feel good about the film, what movie would you like to do?

AD -I think a grimy, no punches pulled update of MOTEL HELL would be pretty interesting as I think the original is definitely one of those films that doesn't get the credit it deserves and might translate well with an update. I was very excited when Pascal Laugier was attached to do the HELLRAISER remake as I think he would have done it justice - a reboot of the original would not be a bad thing in the right hands and certainly couldn't be any worse then last 4 or 5 sequels they've put out direct to video.



JG- If you had the opportunity to pick a cast and director to star in a movie with , who would they be?

AD -Even though I have no acting skills to speak of, I'd kill to be in anything by Robert Rodriguez. His films look like they'd be a total blast to work on from start to finish.


JG- What would you love to do if conventions were no longer an option , something else in the industry or maybe a whole different career all together?

AD -I actually have a full time career in the social services field and do this as a creative outlet on the side. If not this, I would love to pursue my first love, which is writing. I've actually been working on a few writing projects for close to 10 years and at some point aim to dedicate a bit more time in getting those off the ground.

JG- Are you a reader and if so , what is your favorite book and author?

AD -Sadly, I don't get a chance to read as much as I used to, but the last authors I was seriously into were Nick Hornsby, Chuck Palahniuk, and Irvine Welsh. From time to time I'll pick up something true crime related if it's new and looks promising - I'm particularly into the psychological study behind serial and spree killers and have read a ton of books on the subject.


JG-Now ,fun stuff, if I were to snag your IPOD - what music would be on it right now ???

AD -I actually don't own an IPOD believe it or not, though I do have an extensive music collection of CDs and MP3s on my laptop. It really runs the gamut from James Brown, to Portishead, to The Misfits, to Pantera, and every genre in between. I've been on a bit of an At the Drive In kick ever since I heard of the band getting back together and I've got my fingers and toes crossed that they do a show somewhere in the Chicago or Milwaukee area as I never got a chance to see them live during their original stint.

JG -Now- guiltless self promotion ,spill it all- new projects- conventions , websites ? Anything- anything at all!

AD -Be sure to check out our website at http://www.DaysoftheDead.net for info on all THREE of our already announced shows coming up in 2012 - Atlanta, Indianapolis, and Chicago - as well as a very exciting announcement happening in the coming weeks. Also check out FROM DUSK TILL CON, THE definitive online community for fans of horror conventions all over the country! And see you guys at a DAYS OF THE DEAD show near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment